Saturday, February 1, 2014
Private equity transactions in the Information Industry 2013
M&A MARKET OVERVIEW
Berkery Noyes tracked 1,399 private equity transactions in the
Information Industry between 2011 and 2013, of which 364
disclosed fi nancial terms, and calculated the aggregate value to be
$104.05 billion. Based on known transaction values, we project
values of 1,035 undisclosed transactions to be $20.46 billion,
totaling $124.51 billion worth of transactions tracked over the past
The largest deal tracked by Berkery Noyes during the last 36 months
was the acquisition of BMC Software by a private investor group, led
by Bain Capital and Golden Gate Capital, for $6.69 billion in 2013.
2013 KEY HIGHLIGHTS
• The most active financial sponsor was Vista Equity Partners with
eighteen transactions in 2013. This included four deals with
disclosed values above $500 million.
• Four of the top ten highest value private equity deals in 2013
occurred in the Finance segment. The largest of these was
Hellman & Friedman’s acquisition of Applied Systems from Bain
Capital for $1.8 billion in the Insurance subsector.
• TPG Capital was the most active private equity firm in the
Healthcare segment with eight transactions in 2013.
2013 KEY TRENDS
• Total transaction volume in 2013 decreased by twelve percent
over 2012, from 512 to 453. However, when compared to 2011,
volume in 2013 underwent a four percent increase.
• Total transaction value in 2013 declined by six percent over
2012, from $43.71 billion to $41.13 billion.
• The median revenue multiple increased from 1.8x in 2012 to
2.3x in 2013. The median EBITDA multiple improved from 9.8x
in 2012 to 11.5x in 2013.
• In terms of secondary buyouts, or transactions completed
between private equity fi rms, deal volume in 2013 decreased
by 27 percent over 2012. This followed a 34 percent increase
from 2011 to 2012
More information here